Tourism in Dordogne, Black Périgord
Castles, caves, chasms, exceptional sites, the most beautiful villages of France, gardens, forests, rivers, swimming, nature, sports, hiking trails, gastronomy … you will be impressed by all that the Dordogne can offer you.
The prestigious American magazine National Geographic considers Perigord as one of the 5 most beautiful destinations in the world. Just that.
The department of Dordogne extends on the plateaus of Périgord. It rises to the east to form causses while in the west, the relief falls to the plains of Saintonge and Guyenne. It is crossed by Bandiat, Dronne, Isle, Auvézère, Dordogne, Vézère and Dropt.
The forests of Landais and the Double cover the west of the department. Périgord offers a very wide variety of landscapes.
After Paris, the Dordogne is the French department offering the largest number of historical monuments. The richness of its past, particularly prehistoric (Lascaux, Les Eyzies-de-Tayac), and its gastronomic specialties are worth to the Dordogne to be a very tourist department.
The most beautiful villages of France 10 of the most beautiful villages of France are in Dordogne, among them:
Belvès, Monpazier, Beynac, La Roque Gageac and of course Sarlat.
But Périgord is also one of the largest French departments and it takes a hell of a long time to cross it. Finding accommodation close to a maximum of tourist sites so as not to spend your holidays on the road becomes very strategic. Camping La Lénotte enjoys an idyllic location since it is in the center of everything, as you can see on the map below. The campsite is located less than 30 minutes from 12 of the 15 most visited sites in Périgord. To give you an idea, here are some elements of the situation of our campsite:
– At the foot of Belvès, ranked among the Most Beautiful Villages of France
– Less than 30 minutes from Sarlat
– Less than 30 minutes from 8 of the 10 Most beautiful villages of France in the Dordogne
– 15 minutes from the chasm of Proumeyssac, the most popular chasm of Périgord
– 20 minutes from the 3 most visited castles of Dordogne (Castelnaud, Beynac and Milandes)
– 3 km from the Dordogne and the first beach
At the foot of the GR36, hiking trail accessible from the campsite
– 20 minutes from the international prehistory pole in Eyzies (world capital of prehistory) and the most beautiful prehistoric sites